Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Personal Statement

     Personal Statement

     Greetings, my name is Alison Silver. I am sixteen years old and currently a sophomore at Six Rivers Charter High School. Up until three years ago I lived in Rhode Island. I still consider that my home and plan to return as soon as possible, hopefully for college. For hobbies I like to read, write, draw, and cook. I ride horses and own a gelding named Phelim. I have loved books ever since I was young, it used to be that I couldn't go to sleep without an audio book playing. I still listen to audio books on my phone whenever I'm working or on long walks. I have tried many times to write my own books but they usually fall flat. Recently I finished my first book which is currently on its' way to being published.
     In general I consider myself an average writer. I can get all of the components down on paper and end up with a good grade,but essays have never been a strong point of mine. For some reason I tend to have trouble with thesis driven essays which make you stick to a point and not see the other side. I also have trouble finding and citing facts. I prefer fictional creative writing. In general I like to have an assigned topic to write on when it comes to essays.
     Throughout this year and the portfolio process I learned more about essay structure and practice writing essays. I also learned a lot about MLA formatting and what is required with it. The main thing I had to revise in my essays were the in-text citations which were useful to learn. I also learned more about analysis essays and ways to elaborate on my topics.
     In the future I plan to travel and hopefully settle back in either the eastern U.S. or Canada. I am planning on attending college but I am not sure where I will go or what I will study. I do think that I will use writing no matter what I pursue. One of my ideas is even getting an English degree, but I am not yet sure. No matter what I do plan on continuing fiction writing and published more books in the future. I have so many story ideas in my head so I am sure I'll keep busy writing them. As for improvement I hope to get better at spelling and general conventions and keep learning more writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment